All Together Now!
If you stop to think about it, the way we use family rooms has greatly changed over the past few years, and if you have a den that was designed for a “Brady Bunch” lifestyle, it’s definitely time for an update. We’re not just talking about that wood paneling. Televisions are bigger and better (and flatter!) than ever before. There are multiple options for accessing television and web content, and members of the family often have their own devices that they’ll want to watch, even while sitting in one room together.
Here are 5 ways we can create a versatile family room space to suit your family’s changing needs.
1. Decide what is going to be the focus of your room. For many people, this is the home entertainment center. Be sure to consider the relationship of the size of your room to your preferred television size, as a too-small TV in a large room will be difficult to see, but a too-large one can make the room feel too small (and also be uncomfortable to watch)! Mounting the television on the wall can help open space up in your room. Consider where you’ll want to place your television speakers in the room, so wiring can be done during the remodeling to create a surround-sound experience while eliminating unsightly cords.
2. Sometimes everyone wants to enjoy the same program or movie on television, but often family members want to do their own thing, such as reading, working on a laptop, or listening to music. We can remodel your room keeping in mind the “zones” you need: a conversation zone, a craft or game zone, and a media zone, for example. You will probably plan a position in the room for your largest piece of furniture, the sofa, but having other seating, such as club chairs, on casters and in an open area allows you to quickly and easily adjust how the room is configured. Ottomans and large pillows can also add seating to give you exactly the set-up you need at any given moment.
3. Bluetooth technology can really help meet the varied entertainment needs of your family. Using Bluetooth headphones means that one person watching TV won’t disturb others in the same room. Combining that with Bluetooth speakers means you can easily switch from solo-viewing to a home theater experience for the whole family. You can also use Bluetooth to stream content wirelessly from your computer, Smartphone, or tablet to your television to share with everyone in the room.
4. Consider what you’ll need to store in your family room when we design your space. Built-in cabinets look beautiful and are a great functional storage space. Allow room for special shelving for your DVD or Blu-Ray collection. A custom-built entertainment center for your cable box, Blu-Ray player, or any other devices will help keep them easily accessible, but out of the family’s way.
5. Don’t forget that all these devices need to be plugged in, or at least charged occasionally! When remodeling your family room, we can make sure to include a charging station and plenty of outlets around the room, so it’s always convenient for family members to sit comfortably while using their personal devices.
A home’s family room should be designed and configured to meet a family’s individual entertainment needs. Contact us today so we can help you figure out how your newly remodeled family room can be the best possible space for your family to relax and spend time together. After all, isn’t that what it’s all about?