Create the Perfect In-Law Suite for Your Family
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, multi-generational households have become more prevalent in the United States, having risen nearly 30% between 2000 and 2010. With today’s medical technology, people are living longer than ever. A challenging economic climate has impacted retirement nest-eggs and brought about concerns regarding important financial issues such as the ability to pay for long-term care and medical insurance premiums, cost of assisted-living housing, and the like. Therefore, many single-family households have had to expand to include another generation. If you’re in a situation where you’re thinking about accommodating aging parents, there are some options to consider:
- Do you have a garage or basement that could be converted into living space?
- Would an addition of living space make the most sense for your family’s needs?
- Would building a stand-alone structure be the best route?
It’s also important to be sensitive to the fact that your aging parents have lived with privacy and independence for decades. Although certain sacrifices must be made on everyone’s part when family members live together, the opportunity for privacy and independence for everyone involved must be guaranteed. The way to accomplish this critical point is to create a fully functional in-law suite within your home or to build an addition or detached structure.
Essential components of a fully functional in-law suite include:
- A private full bathroom (with safety basics such as grab bars)
- A door that separates the area from the rest of the home or a private entrance
- A kitchen or kitchenette complete with appropriate appliances such as a microwave, sink, and refrigerator
- A bedroom should be located on the first floor or the entire in-law suite should be on one floor and should include easy access and accessibility features
- Additional closets and storage
With over 50 years of experience in the remodeling and construction business, MDV is pleased to provide you with an expert consultation using our TruYou Design Build™ process for the creation of your in-law suite. Click here for more information about TruYou Design Build™. Alternatively, click here to schedule your free estimate and take the first step in creating a comfortable and functional multi-generational home!